New England's Vedanta roots go back to 1893 when Swami Vivekananda came to Boston and taught Vedanta philosophy
even before he became a renowned religious figure at the World Parliament of Religions held in Chicago that year.
After the Parliament, Vivekananda stayed for extended periods in various parts of New England, including
Boston. Later, two other disciples of Ramakrishna, Swamis Saradananda and Abhedananda, visited Boston and
gave classes on Vedanta.
In 1910 Swami Paramananda built the first permanent Vedanta center in Boston, and in 1941 Swami Akhilananda
moved it to its present location at 58 Deerfield Street. After his passing in 1962, Swami Sarvagatananda led
the Vedanta Society for forty years until his formal retirement in 2002. Swami Tyagananda is currently the
head of the Vedanta work in Boston.
A detailed history of the Vedanta Society in Boston is under preparation and will be uploaded when ready.